Friday, May 22, 2009

»» Chihiro Onitsuka - X / Last Melody

01. X
02. Last Melody

To be perfectly honest, I had never heard of Chihiro Onitsuka until she released this single. I'm glad to say that I've become a fan of this lady.

What struck me most about Chihiro is how similar to Utada's voice her voice is. It really shows in Last Melody. X starts of like a slow ballad, but then it turns into a pop/rock ballads. Chihiro has a very unique way of singing that makes you think of no one else when she's singing a rock track. Well, at least that's what I got from this one song. I love the guitars and the chorus is quite catchy, while keeping a very dark atmosphere. It's almost like they mixed Ai Otsuka's Cherish with Ayumi Hamasaki's talkin' 2 myself. Very good stuff.

Last Melody, as the title might have given away, is also a ballad. And boy, what an amazing ballad it is... I must admit I didn't like it too much the first time I listened to it. But then I didn't feel like putting something else on either, so I just let it play on repeat along with X. A few listens later, I realized I liked this better than X. Her voice reminds me of Utada Hikaru's voice in this song, especially in the bridge, when she hits some higher notes. The song is absolutely beautiful, and for a song whose title includes the word 'Melody', it has quite a well-thought one.

X / Last Melody is a great single by Chihiro Onitsuka, and I'm definitely going to follow her careeer closely from now on, and probably going to check some of her previous works.

Labels:

by Sairo!