Friday, October 31, 2008

»» MiChi - PROMiSE

Tracklist:
01. PROMiSE
02. HEy GirL
03. Sk8er Boi
04. Fuck You And Your Money (ED BANGER ALL STARS remix) remixed by BUSY P & DSL at DSL LAB in Paris

This single was released on October 22nd, 2008.

Who's MiChi? Well, MiChi is new. This is her debut mainstream single. MiChi is not japanese, she is British, but she moved to Japan when she was 2, and then moved back to England when whe was 10. 8 years is a lot of time to learn japanese in. MiChi released an independent album earlier this year, and it was very successful, probably the reason why Sony signed her. PROMiSE, her debut song, is very nice. However, it's also very average. I listen to it and I go like 'many other acts could've done this'. If I didn't know it's a girl called MiChi, I probably would've thought it was a Genki Rockets song or something. Nevertheless, it's a strong song, probably very good for a debut, and it does showcase her vocal talent, which is very good in s debut single, 'cause it draws attention. The single itself was a huge success, it debuted in the Top 10, a feat not achieved by many of Japan's top female singer. To have the debut single debut at Top 10, I mean.

On the other hand, there's the b-side HEy GirL, which is very awesome and stands out. Her voice sounds amazing in this, and it's sooooooooo catchy! The chorus is totally addictive, I was hooked the first time I heard it. Her japanese sounds a bit off in this song, though. But it seems like she is not trying very hard to sound perfect, and somehow that makes it ok not to sound 100% perfect japanese.

Then there's Sk8er Boi, a cover of Avril Lavigne's song. You really can't tell it that Sk8er Boi in the first seconds of the song, 'cause it really doesn't sound like it. But then the initial chords are played and you realize it's Avril's song. The arrangement of MiChi's version is much lighter than the original arrangement, but the melody is exactly the same. I think the lyrics are a little bit different, but maybe I just never really learned the lyrics. I guess I don't need to say that this shows us that her english is perfect. Well, she lived in England for more than 10 years, why wouldn't her English be perfect? Anyway... the ending is also a bit different, she threw in some synthesized vocals which sounded quite good, but didn't blend very well with the rest of the song.

Fuck You And Your Money (ED BANGER ALL STARS remix) remixed by BUSY P & DSL at DSL LAB in Paris has a very long title. It's a good remix, 100% floorfiller stuff, but I can't say much, 'cause I really don't like it to review remixes of songs I don't know.

Overall score: 8.5/10

Labels:

by Sairo!